Monday, July 25, 2011

Less than 2 months 'til departure

Well, I've finally got a departure date: September 12.  Orientation starts on September 14, so I'll have a little longer than 12 hours of being in Japan before I have to get dressed up and listen to people talk about The Great Opportunities Ahead of Me.

I'll be living in an international dorm...but despite being told I would get information on it more than a week ago, I haven't gotten anything.  Oh well.  What I have gotten is a list of the other Fulbright fellow grantees. There are nine of us total, 3 in sciences and the rest in humanities and social sciences.  It looks as though there are 7 girls and 2 boys.  The closest fellows to me will be in Kyoto, which isn't particularly close.  Tokyo is the farthest north any of us has been placed.

I also have an advisor, who I've emailed already.  He emailed me back a bunch of shrines I can check out in the Nagoya area.  I also found out that Tagata Jinja is not far from Nagoya.  If you don't know about Tagata Jinja, type it into Google images.  But only if there aren't any small children around.  Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I just received my affiliation letter, so I need to apply for a student visa.  The info they sent me on the visa says it can take several months, which has me slightly worried.  But if worst comes to worst, I can enter Japan for 90 days on a tourist visa.

ALSO, because sometimes I just space out, I forgot to mention in my last post:
ALL OPINIONS IN THIS BLOG ARE MINE AND MINE ALONE AND ARE NOT ENDORSED BY THE STATE DEPARTMENT OR THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE FULBRIGHT PROGRAM IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.
Also, if I post "inappropriate or offensive material on the internet," they can take away my Fulbright.
I doubt this will actually be a problem, given that I don't really have a propensity for posting inappropriate or offensive material on the internet.

Yay, boring paperwork recap done with!

I'm gonna go do something interesting right now, like beat everyone and his brother at Catan.

No comments:

Post a Comment