Thursday, February 9, 2012

American food, ponies, and taiyaki

Dear everybody who listed all the synonyms for buttocks I missed on the last post:
I am so glad you like butts and know many, many, many, many words to talk about butts.
...I really don't know what else to say about this.  I am clearly not as into vocabulary for butts as you are.  And I am totally okay with that.

Also, my blog has officially gotten hits through the keywords "nude men."  WHOO.

Anyway!

So Wednesday night was American Food Night, which is to say that a bunch of American girls in the dorm cooked American food for Louki and Kim (the two Dutch girls).  I made "American" food, which is to say that I made food that Dana makes in America, which is not really all that American.  As it turns out, Japanese squash is much sweeter than butternut squash when boiled, plus I was missing some spices, so my vegetable soup didn't taste exactly the same as it does in the States, but it still tasted pretty okay.  I also made renkon and satsuma imo, which is not American but I DON'T CARE.  Anyway, we also had macaroni and cheese (actual macaroni and cheese, not out of a box; it was amazing) and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and s'mores (made over the stove, which was exciting and involved lots of things catching on fire) and random American candy Hali's parents sent her and peanut butter cookies (om nom nom nom) and mugicha (barley tea), because that is TOTALLY AMERICAN.
And then Ashley and I began phase one of Our Dastardly Plan to Turn Louki into a Brony.  And it worked. Bwahahahaha.
...and then we watched Fern Gully for some reason?  You can just watch the Nostalgia Critic review to get a sense of the entire movie (but don't watch it near sensitive ears, as there is swearing out the wazoo).  Uh, yeah.

Today we were going to go to an arcade, but we actually wound up going to the arcade for about twenty minutes and then spending the rest of the time wandering around Osu Kannon while some of the girls went clothes shopping.  Also, I had cookies and cream taiyaki,* which was DELICIOUS.

In completely unrelated and totally random news, this morning I had an epiphany and realized that bronyism** is structurally similar to a Japanese new religion.  Think about it.  There's a doctrine (the episodes) which are based on the experiences and thoughts of a founder (little bit of a stretch, but read any of Lauren Faust's articles about why she wanted to make the show the way it is) and expanded by the select few in the upper echelons of the movement (the animation team, Daniel Ingram, etc.).  Those in lower positions in the movement also release publicity materials (so much fanart and fan music) and add to the established canon (Derpy...I mean, seriously, Derpy).  Those in the movement do everything in their power to convert everyone they come into contact with...in a series of steps eerily similar to shakubuku in Soka Gakkai.  ("Do you watch ponies?  No?  You think it's dumb?  Well, I'm going to tell you every reason why it isn't dumb...over and over...every time I see you...and eventually I will wear you down enough to watch the first episode...and then I will cajole you into watching more...until eventually you are hooked...and then you can go out and win more converts!")  The community exists at a national (and international, thanks to the internets) level, but there are also local communities which will have meetings (to watch new episodes, nerd out, sing "At the Gala" to each other and freak out everyone else in the room...not that I have ever done this).  And before anyone says, "But this metaphor doesn't make ANY SENSE because MLP:FIM is NOT a religion!" I would just like to say you have obviously not met a devoted brony.  MLP:FIM is a WAY OF LIFE.
So, not a perfect match, but with some tweaking bronies could qualify as members of a religious organization in Japan?
And thus concludes my nerdy rambling.

On a final note, I've added some new pages to the blog, if you haven't already noticed.  They're on the sidebar on the right.  Man, I'm suddenly all productive on this blog.  HOW CRAZY.

**That is, being a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

*Taiyaki is a kind of fish-shaped pastry, normally filled with red-bean paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment